Birth Story:
We went out to dinner the night of Andy's birthday, November 28. Went to bed fine but then woke up with vomiting and diarrhea around 4:30am. Figured I ate something bad and slept on & off on our bathroom floor/master closet ha! Contractions started around 7am and were more painful than previous ones that week & I was still feeling nauseous so I called in to work to let them know I wasn't coming in. Contractions started to get closer together throughout the morning. We decided it was time and Andy called my parents to let them know since they were going to be watching Austin & Mason. Dropped the boys off and got to the hospital at 10am. I was 3 cm and 60% so they watched me in triage for a little over an hour to make sure it was all real. Once I was admitted into a labor room my contractions started to slow down, ended up needing pitocin after they broke my water at 3pm. Really wanted to not get an epidural this time around and I made it to almost 8 cm before I got really tired and was having a hard time controlling my breathing during contractions. The anestheiologist got it in and it took effect everywhere except a spot on my left side. My OB was able to be present for my delivery! Started pushing at 8pm and Giselle Grace was born at 8:17pm! :) Andy cut the cord with her just like he did with the boys and took pictures while they dried her off. Meanwhile...I started hemorrhaging. :( OB said it becomes more of a risk with each child. They couldn't get it under control with just the normal massaging of my uterus so I got a shot of Methergine. That helped...for a couple hours.
She nursed beautifully after they did her measurements and foot prints which is something I didn't get to experience right away with the boys. We made it to post partum and she got to meet her GoGo. :) After nursing her the second time I started hemorrhaging again. Had to get a second shot. Very scary situation. The nurse came to take Giselle for her bath at around 3 hours of age. When they returned with her they also had a NICU nurse with them....didn't really register to me at first... was thinking "oh my work girls already want to come meet her!" Instead Giselle was going to the NICU and the Neo was coming in shortly to talk to us.
NICU stay:
Initially the Neo wasn't exactly sure what was going on since he didn't have all the studies. He told us it was a abnormality on the imperforate anus spectrum. He said there was an opening but it was not in the right spot and it was small. The next morning after the surgeon had a chance to look at her and the xrays he diagnosed Giselle with a perineal/vestibular fistula. Meaning her anus is anterior (close to her vagina) and her rectum is narrow. I won't go into the pathophysiology of this but can answer more questions if anyone has them. He dilated her that day and then plans for corrective surgery once she is around 10-12 lbs or at the very latest 6 months of age. We had a very short stay compared to other NICU babies. She was able to come home the same day I was released since she was eating and pooping on her own. During our NICU stay she had lots of studies done which I'm sure you read about on facebook. Besides following with the surgeon she will also get a repeat Echo of her heart on December 22nd due to aortic insufficiency. We don't anticipate the follow up echo to be abnormal, its more of a precaution.
So far.... at our first surgeon appt this past Friday he had to dilate Giselle's rectum again since it was already close to being back where it was. This process was pretty uncomfortable for her and for me to watch. I have to do daily dilation now to maintain the correct size and I'm hoping she gets a little more used to it soon since we aren't trying to make it any bigger. Giselle also had a swallow study done that showed severe reflux. :( We will be starting Zantac at her 2 week appointment, pediatrician doesn't feel comfortable starting it before that. Her weight was also down a bit so we are doing weight checks as well.
The next updates should be shorter and sweeter I hope! :) The boys love her and do this cute little voice when talking to her. I think we are adjusting to a family of 5 amazingly well so far. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2014
(38)
-
▼
December
(7)
- Giselle was one month old yesterday! Hard to belie...
- Hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas! We did! Hav...
- Giselle had her follow up cardiac echocardiogram t...
- Slight delay on updating the blog...meant to do it...
- Happy 4th Birthday to our Austin Jacob!! :) Crazy...
- Birth Story: We went out to dinner the night of An...
- Birth story, NICU stay, doctors appt, etc all comi...
-
▼
December
(7)



No comments:
Post a Comment